Special testing conditions
How to Apply
If you have a disability or other health related need that might interfere with your ability to sit the test in the standard manner you can apply for special testing accommodations online via your candidate account.
For administrative reasons it is not possible for ACER to consider any disability or other health related need you may have until you are a registered candidate.
Please submit your application as soon as possible after registration for the relevant test window. This will assist in ensuring there is sufficient time to review your application and implement any special testing accommodations granted. Your application (together with supporting documentation) must be submitted by the registration closing date for the relevant test window.
An accessible test form is available for vision impaired candidates. Please submit an application for special testing accommodations to notify ACER that you require an accessible test form. You must also submit supporting documentation with your application.
When you submit your application for special testing accommodations online via your candidate account, you must also submit supporting documentation. The following requirements apply:
- Your documentation must be from a registered health practitioner on the practitioner's official letterhead including the date and title, name, registration number, contact details, and signature of the practitioner.
- For disabilities or health-related needs, other than learning disabilities, your documentation must be no more than one year old.
- For learning disabilities, a copy of an appropriate educational psychologist’s report (no more than 3 years old) will be acceptable. A report older than 3 years will be acceptable if it is accompanied by a recent letter from an educational psychologist stating that the information in the report is still applicable to you as you are today.
- Must give a clear diagnosis and information on your disability or health related need.
- Must detail the effect of your disability or health related on your ability to sit the test under standard testing conditions.
- Must specify what testing accommodations the health practitioner regards are appropriate.
Please note that any application submitted or special testing accommodations granted for a previous testing window granted does not carry over between test windows. You will need to submit an application for each test registration.
Special testing accommodations made available to you by your university are not automatically granted for the test. Each application for special testing accommodations is unique and as such, is assessed individually, against ACER guidelines and on the basis of the medical and/or educational assessments and recommendations provided with your application.
For disabilities or health related needs that occur after the registration closing date for the relevant test window, please contact the Teacher Test Office immediately for advice.
Assessment of your Application
Your application will be considered in accordance with this procedure document and ACER guidelines.
ACER needs to consider such accommodations in light of maintaining the integrity of the assessment process. Therefore, it may not be possible to provide all of the accommodations specified in your application.
Special testing accommodations allow candidates, affected by a disability or health related need, the opportunity to demonstrate their true abilities in an assessment. At the same time, special testing accommodations must not confer any advantage over other candidates sitting the assessment under standard conditions.
The test is computer-based. Therefore, difficulties with writing will not normally be seen as grounds for granting special testing accommodations.
Review Process for Special Testing Conditions
If you consider your approved special testing conditions are not appropriate, you can submit a request for a review of your accommodations in writing to ACER. This request must be lodged no later than one week after the registration closing date for the relevant test window.
The 2018 test window deadlines to apply for special testing accommodations are:
|Test Window||STC Application Deadline||STC Review Application Deadline||STC Review Outcome Notification|
|Test Window 1: Feb/March 2018||4 February 2018||8 February 2018||12 February 2018|
|Test Window 2: May/June 2018||6 May 2018||10 May 2018||14 May 2018|
|Test Window 3: August/September 2018||5 August 2018||9 August 2018||13 August 2018|
|Test Window 4: November 2018||28 October 2018||1 November 2018||5 November 2018|
There is no possibility of special consideration being given to test results. In no circumstances can scores be adjusted to account for any perceived disadvantage after the test has been sat.