Reasonable Adjustments (RA)
How to Apply
If you have a disability or other health related need that might interfere with your ability to sit the test in the standard manner you can apply for reasonable adjustments online via your candidate account.
For administrative reasons it is not possible for ACER to consider any disability or other health related need you may have until you are a registered candidate.
Please submit your application as soon as possible after registration for the relevant test window. This will assist in ensuring there is sufficient time to review your application and implement any adjustments granted. Your application (together with supporting documentation) must be submitted by the registration closing date for the relevant test window.
An accessible test form is available for vision impaired candidates. Please submit an application for reasonable adjustments to notify ACER that you require an accessible test form. You must also submit supporting documentation with your application.
When you submit your application for reasonable adjustments online via your candidate account, you must also submit supporting documentation. The following requirements apply:
- Your documentation must be from a registered health practitioner on the practitioner's official letterhead including the date and title, name, registration number, contact details, and signature of the practitioner.
- For disabilities or health-related needs, other than learning disabilities, your documentation must be no more than one year old.
- For learning disabilities, a copy of an appropriate educational psychologist’s report (no more than 3 years old) will be acceptable. A report older than 3 years will be acceptable if it is accompanied by a recent letter from an educational psychologist stating that the information in the report is still applicable to you as you are today.
- Must give a clear diagnosis and information on your disability or health related need.
- Must detail the effect of your disability or health related on your ability to sit the test under standard testing conditions.
- Must specify what reasonable adjustments the health practitioner regards are appropriate.
Please note that any application submitted or adjustments granted for a previous testing window does not carry over between test windows. You will need to submit an application for each test registration.
Reasonable adjustments made available to you by your university are not automatically granted for the test. Each application for reasonable adjustments is unique and as such, is assessed individually, against ACER guidelines and on the basis of the medical and/or educational assessments and recommendations provided with your application.
For disabilities or health related needs that occur after the registration closing date for the relevant test window, please contact the Teacher Test Office immediately for advice.
Assessment of your Application
Your application will be considered in accordance with ACER procedure and guidelines.
ACER needs to consider reasonable adjustments in light of maintaining the integrity of the assessment process. Therefore, it may not be possible to provide all the adjustments specified in your application.
Reasonable adjustments allow candidates, affected by a disability or health related need, the opportunity to demonstrate their true abilities in an assessment. At the same time, reasonable adjustments must not confer any advantage over other candidates sitting the assessment under standard conditions.
The test is computer-based. Therefore, difficulties with writing will not normally be seen as grounds for granting reasonable adjustments.
Review Process for Reasonable Adjustments
If you consider your approved adjustments are not appropriate, you can submit a request for a review of your adjustments in writing to ACER. This request must be lodged no later than one week after the registration closing date for the relevant test window.
The 2019 test window deadlines to apply for reasonable adjustments are:
|Test Window||RA Application Deadline||RA Review Application Deadline||RA Review Outcome Notification|
|Window 1||29 January 2019||4 February 2019||8 February 2019|
|Window 2||18 April 2019||22 April 2019||26 April 2019|
|Window 3||16 July 2019||22 July 2019||26 July 2019|
|Window 4||22 October 2019||28 October 2019||1 November 2019|
There is no possibility of special consideration being given to test results. In no circumstances can scores be adjusted to account for any perceived disadvantage after the test has been sat.